Monday, June 27, 2011

The Key to Ignoring Temptation-- today's devil, RED ROBIN!



So.. The husband twisted my arm and talked me into eating out on our way home from gymnastics. It was 2 to 1, I was outnumbered :(. BUT, I was prepared. You can never walk into a restaurant unprepared. The menu will win every time. I researched the lowest calorie menu items prior, and decided on something I LOVE, and worked with it. Did I get fries?? NO, though they are sooo good at Red Robin, and bottomless, I should add... But, you will feel like a bloated tick after, so it wasn't even fathomable.

You CAN have the good stuff when eating out, I chose the Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich, halfed it, and then sealed it up in the to go box before I ate the whole thing. Yes, the waitress will look at you like you are crazy, but no biggie :). So, I went from possibly consuming 876 calories, to 438. You can also substitue broccoli or melon, free of charge, for your fries. So I did-- though I have to admit I snuck a few sweet potato fries from the hubs ;).

I always talk about moderation, that's the key! You can still set the stuff you love, maybe not everyday and for every meal,but, cut your portions down and your good to go! Most of us are into these quick fixes in life, a nip and tuck, power diet with outrageous meals, do it for a month or so hard core and then quit!

This is YOUR life, take control of it, figure out WHY your indulging, feel your stomach, is it growling or over stuffed? And then eat or step away from the food. Anyways, I have listed some other options for Red Robin, and am happy to say the hubs chose sweet potato fries, AND a plain chicken sandwich. What's this world coming too :) ?

Generally, you always think that a salad is the healthier alternative. Red Robin is famous for the large portions. Really, you need to downsize every meal, unless you choose to eat from the kids menu, which calorie wise is the safest.

Here is what NOT to eat:

Beef Burgers- from 907-1440 calories
Chicken burgers- up to 982 calories
Any salad other than Asian Chicken or Apple Harvest


Here is what would be feasible to eat if you must:

Kids menu items (smaller portions)- from 390-534 calories
Anything from above HALFED, no fries and lay off the bread
Lighted Up Burgers- crispy fish burger 560 calories
Lettuce wrapped garden burger- 560 calories
Bruschetta chicken sandwich, cut in half- 438 calories
Chicken tortilla soup- 173 calories
Asian Chicken Salad or Apple Harvest- around 582 calories
Side salad- 217 calories
Steamed veggies- 134 calories
Melon slices- 61 calories

Negative on the cokes, diet, etc... Water or unsweetened tea! And, as always, don't forget your 100 naked jumping jacks. Though, you might want to bump it up to 150 after this meal ;). Enjoy!

Here is a good run down on all the menu items at Red Robin- calorie counts & points (if you're a WW fan.

http://onemorepound.com/2009/04/02/red-robin-menu-weight-watcher-point-values/

No comments:

Post a Comment